17.5.09

Ansel Adams


I'm doing a research project on the great Ansel Adams. My dad actually talked to him over the phone a couple of times when he worked at the photo place Adolf Gasser back in SF. So I was looking through this photo book of his, the stories and methods for 40 selected works. And I felt so humbled at the skill it took the old school way. When it wasn't just point and shoot and BAM you have a photo. This stuff took methods, brains, and heart. And risk. This was back when you had a number of photo plates and you actually had to know the exposures and how to transform a negative into your vision. I feel like I have such more to learn. I feel like a lvl 2 again in Maple trying to hack at a red snail. There was this one picture in the book, Lodgepole Pines, that swore I saw in color as I turned the page. It was that kind of photo that's legendary. When the tones and hues are perfect even in black and white.


I totally agree with Mai on her last post. This has happened countless times to me:

Random Person: like, OMG you take good pictures. What kind of camera do you use???
Me: -_______-

Ok, I'm pretty sure it isn't meant to sound that way, but I sure construe it that way. Actually, I'm kind of being a hypocrite. I was surprised to hear that Mai took those photos with a simple Coolpix. But she's just proof that it's the photographer, not the camera, that makes the photo great.


I was driving today, and before I even reached 5 mph, a freaking bird hit the windshield. All my life something like that has never happened. O_o Good luck? The bird's ok though, if you're worried.

Currently loving this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment